Introduction to cuneiform writing system
This course is addressed to students, who are interested in the language of inhabitants of ancient Mesopotamia, but who never had any opportunity to learn Akkadian grammar or cuneiform script. During this course students will work with a short textual fragment written in cuneiform, transliterating, and translating it, as well as writing their own basic grammar edition of this text. While working on this task, students can discuss all matters on the discussion forum, as well as ask teacher these, questions, that remained unanswered by classmates.
Course level outcomes
- Students will properly recognize ca. 50 cuneiform signs
- Students will apply basics of Akkadian grammar (noun, adjective, prepositions, tenses, and stems of verb) to properly identify forms of words in given text
- Students will translate short textual fragment from Akkadian into English
Passing grade requirements
- Active participation in forum discussion (at least 80% of points available must be awarded)
- Properly edited cuneiform text fragment (including transliteration, translation, and grammar edition, at least 60% of points available must be awarded)
approx. 30 hours of lecture + 120 hours of students’ own work, 6 ECTS points
This school offers programs in:
अंतिम November 23, 2017 अद्यतन.